Our special agents are responsible for initiating, conducting, coordinating, and directing criminal investigations, protective intelligence investigations, internal affairs cases, and domestic terrorism threat cases.
Your work assignments may include:
- Assess the behavior of the individual victim, witness, or suspect as it relates to the investigation.
- Detect and note physiological behaviors during personal contacts.
- Conduct searches in accordance with established laws, procedures, and regulations to obtain evidence needed to support the investigation.
- Coordinate security arrangements before and during operations with military and civil authorities to ensure available resources (e.g., K-9, SWAT, security plan) are used to support the mission.
- Maintain a constant state of physical readiness and capability.
- Perform a wide variety of tasks while wearing personal protective equipment.
- Complete the Physical Ability Test.
- Salaries start at $68,036, with full performance at $106,012 per year (salaries vary with federal pay tables and experience).
- Overtime is compensated at the rate of 1-1/2 times your hourly rate.
- Agents required to work an additional 2 hours per day (10-hour workday) are eligible to receive the 25% Availability Pay allowance.
- May qualify for National Capital Region's transit benefit program.
- Government retirement program and Thrift Savings Plan are available.
- Medical and dental insurance, as well as long–term care insurance, are offered.
- Uniforms, laundry, and equipment are furnished at no cost to the officer.
- A world-class, onsite fitness center is provided free of charge.