PFPA Pentagon Police Canine Division (K-9) is the Person-Borne Improvised Explosives Device and Explosives Detection Dog unit which is responsible for the DoD community in and around the National Capital Region. The K-9 Division is organized into teams (canine and handler) that provide both proactive and reactive law enforcement functions designed to ensure a safe working environment at the Pentagon Reservation and other DoD delegated facilities.
As a K-9 unit, your typical work assignments may include:
- Conducting security sweeps of delivery and construction vehicles, unattended vehicles, suspicious packages, during bomb threats, and at official ceremonies. The unit also conducts K-9 security sweeps involving Department of Defense high-risk personnel (HRP).
- Conducting security sweeps at other locations including the Mark Center, Raven Rock Mountain Complex, and other DoD delegated facilities.
- Assisting other law enforcement agencies when needed.
- Performing K-9 demonstrations throughout the National Capital Region.
- Maintain a constant state of physical readiness
- Perform a wide variety of tasks while wearing personal protective equipment.
- Complete the Physical Ability Test and pass all designated PFPA/PPD certification programs.
- Salary range: $67,808 to $116,639
- K-9 police officers assigned to special units may be eligible for an additional 6% supplement upon successful completion of required training.
- Canines live with their assigned K-9 handler and are a part of every aspect of the officer's home life. This relationship is necessary to provide the most effective K-9 handler rapport and provides for an efficient response time to incidents when K-9 support is needed.
- This position is authorized for the Domicile-to-Duty Transportation Program. Domicile-to-Duty mileage is limited to operators living within 50 miles of their duty station.
- Government retirement program and Thrift Savings Plan are available.
- Medical and dental insurance, as well as long–term care insurance, are offered.
- Uniforms, laundry, and equipment are furnished at no cost to the officer.
- A world-class, onsite fitness center is provided free of charge.
Should you have any questions, please contact the Recruitment Branch at 703-571-8000 or email PFPA.RECRUITMENT@MAIL.MIL.