The Emergency Response Team (ERT) is a designated law enforcement team, whose members are recruited, selected, trained, equipped and assigned to resolve critical incidents involving a threat to public safety which would otherwise exceed the capabilities of traditional law enforcement first responders and/or investigative units.
ERT officers are responsible for rapid deployment to contain, control, and neutralize any threat to the safety and welfare of the DoD community or property when incidents such as sabotage attempts, armed intrusion, hostage taking, sniper or terrorist attacks, weapons of mass destruction or civil disobedience situations, or chemical accidents occur. They provide emergency response to senior DoD officials.
They also provide security and protection of U.S. government officials and other high-ranking foreign diplomats and control crowds for various events, including National Security Special Events, Presidential Inaugurations, annual marathons, protests, and ceremonies at the 9/11 Pentagon Memorial.
- Ability to maintain optimal mission capability through operations of extended duration.
- Be willing and able to participate in arrests and other dangerous assignments, all of which pose the risk of personal bodily harm.
- Maintain a high-level of fitness necessary to effectively respond to life-threatening situations.
- Perform a wide variety of tasks while wearing personal protective equipment.
- Complete the Physical Ability Test.
- Pass the PPD / ERT Basic SWAT Operators course, and Bi-Annual Tactical Physical Fitness Test.
- Salary range: $67,808 to $116,639.
- ERT police officers assigned to special units may be eligible for an additional 6% supplement upon successful completion of required training.
- This position is authorized for the Domicile-to-Duty Transportation Program. Domicile-to-Duty mileage is limited to operators living within 50 miles of their duty station.
- Government retirement program and Thrift Savings Plan are available.
- Medical and dental insurance, as well as long–term care insurance, are offered.
- Uniforms, laundry, and equipment are furnished at no cost to the officer.
- A world-class, onsite fitness center is provided free of charge.
Should you have any questions, please contact the Recruitment Branch at 703-571-8000 or email PFPA.RECRUITMENT@MAIL.MIL.