The Pentagon Memorial commemorates those who lost their lives in the terrorist attack on the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. The Memorial is located on a site adjacent to the point of impact of the attack. It is hallowed ground and a commemorative memorial.
It is the intent of the Secretary of Defense that the public has as unfettered an opportunity to experience the Memorial as prudent operations and maintenance and security procedures allow. Therefore, special events will be minimized.
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Hours of Operation: The Memorial Park will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, subject to security, extraordinary maintenance and repair activities, or weather. Support staff will be available during the hours of 10 am to 8 pm, Eastern Standard Time and 10 am to 10 pm, Eastern Daylight Savings Time.
Photography is permitted within the Pentagon Memorial Park.
Special events may be permitted when there is a meaningful association between the Memorial and the event, and the event will contribute to visitor understanding of the Memorial's significance. All special events must be requested via a Pentagon Reservation permit application, DD Form 2798 (hyperlink). All requests, other than wreath laying by individuals or private groups, or requests from the Pentagon Memorial Fund, should be submitted at least one month prior to the proposed event date to allow for proper coordination.
All activities prohibited by 32 CFR Part 234, Conduct on the Pentagon Reservation, are prohibited in the Pentagon Memorial Park.
Examples of the common prohibited items and activities are: firearms and knives with blades exceeding 2.5 inches in length, fireworks, open containers of alcoholic beverages, and controlled substances are prohibited on the Reservation. Also, all commercial or political soliciting, vending and posting of posters, flyers, handbills, etc. are prohibited. Any activity not covered by 32 CFR Part 234, but which interferes with the operation and maintenance or public experience of the Pentagon Memorial Park is also prohibited, unless approved through the permit process described in section VI.
OTHER PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES:
- Eating and Drinking: Due to sanitation concerns and vermin control, eating and drinking (except for water) in the Pentagon Memorial Park is not allowed.
- Smoking: In order to minimize debris that may interfere with proper operation of the Memorial Park, we ask that visitors not smoke in the Memorial Park or the entrance.
- Wheeled Vehicles, Roller Blades, etc: Due to the unique construction materials used, and concern for public safety, no wheeled vehicles or devices are allowed in the Memorial Park, other than those used by persons with disabilities, baby strollers.
- Pets and other animals are not authorized on the Pentagon Reservation or inside the Memorial Park. Service dogs and police or military working dogs are authorized entry while performing their intended service. Owners and handlers are asked to pick up after their animals.
- Music, speakers and noise making devices such as megaphones, public address systems, etc are prohibited. In addition sporting activities (such as jogging, Frisbee playing, basketball bouncing, etc.) are not allowed in the Memorial Park.