About the Directorate:
The Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, & Explosive (CBRNE) Directorate is entrusted with providing premier Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) protection at the Pentagon Reservation and to DoD Facilities within the National Capital Region.
What is CBRNE?
CBRNE threat agents, radiological materials and explosives are dangerous, non-traditional warfare agents. These chemical agents are not used or created for industrial or manufacturing purposes and are therefore only illicit in nature. Together, they comprise the bulk of what is traditionally known as WMDs. The agents we protect against are used for terror, warfare or political assassinations in directed, malicious attacks.
How Do We Do this?
This protection against CBRNE threat agents and materials is accomplished through an interoperable system of surveillance, monitoring, and response:
- o We screen all mail, parcels, and packages entering our facilities for chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive threats
- o We conduct on-scene hazard evaluations to confirm or deny the presence of WMD agents
- o We detect, render safe and dispose of explosive material
- o We provide CBRNE protection to high-risk targets
- o We analyze environmental samples for the presence of CBRNE agents
The CBRNE Directorate maintains several key functions within the Pentagon Force Protection Agency including:
- o We identify, detect, and prevent any release of CBRNE materials through the integration of intelligence, equipment, and force protection measures
- o We protect the occupants of Pentagon Facilities and the mission of the Pentagon by minimizing their exposure to any CBRNE contaminants during an attack that might occur either within or outside the facilities allowing the building to remain operational, or return to normal operations more expeditiously
- o We provide the best possible protection to occupants and buildings with minimal impact to occupant and building operations
- o We provide highly-trained CBRNE response personnel to support special events and foreign travel of the Secretary of Defense and the Deputy Secretary of Defense
- o We employ a sophisticated tactical response capability composed of an integrated team of highly skilled Hazardous Material, Explosive, Laboratory and Screening specialists trained to detect, analyze, mitigate, and perform render safe all CBRNE-related threats
- o We develop detailed CBRNE incident response plans and consequence management plans that directly support the Pentagon and leased facilities within the NCR
- o We train with Local, State, and Federal Agencies